Many consider mattresses as another typical household item that can be chosen easily. But do you know that the quality of your sleep depends on this typical item? The mattress is a key to quality sleep. Quality sleep can boost your mood and help healthy brain function and physical well-being. Therefore, choosing the right mattress according to your needs and preferences is essential. The type of mattress you should use depends on various factors like sleep position, health problems, body weight, size, cost, durability, etc. Most people go for a cheap mattress that hampers their sleep quality and back health, along with bad memory and concentration. Youngsters are already facing neck and back problems due to excessive usage of mobile phones and laptops. In that scenario, if the mattress quality is also not according to the needs, it can even worsen the situation. Therefore, out of many types, you have to choose the one that fits your lifestyle and preferences.
Types of Mattresses
There are 4 main types of mattresses designed according to the specific needs of people collectively. Choosing the right mattress can be a challenging task if you are purchasing it for the first time especially.
Polyurethane is used to make the memory foam mattress which can absorb shocks and provide a comforting experience. It was first designed by NASA for the aerospace industry to make seats more comfortable during takeoff and landing. A memory foam mattress has become extremely popular due to its cushioning feel, reduced pain, and lower motion transfer, along with providing good support. Memory foam is best for side sleepers and less suitable for stomach sleepers. Check the best options at mattress firm and find the one that is most suitable for you.
- The memory foam mattress is best for people having back pain or spine issues as they provide proper alignment and support to their back.
- New models of Memory foam mattresses can relieve heat due to their cooling effects features like infused gel or copper.
- This can reduce motion isolation, therefore, minimize sleep disturbance due to an unsettled partner.
- It has the great contouring ability to support your natural body shape as well as support the spine.
- It provides good resistance to dust mites, making it suitable for allergic people.
- It provides great support to pressure points.
- Old models of Memory foam are not suitable for hot sleepers as they used to trap heat and reduce comfort for them.
- It is less responsive and takes a lot of time to return to its original shape.
Innerspring is the oldest yet most popular type of mattress that most people prefer. These mattresses have a steel coil support system, making them bouncier and more responsive. Therefore, the more the coils, the more the bounce and the higher the quality. They are most suitable for back sleepers and stomach sleepers, keeping the spine in alignment and giving it proper support. It generally has a thin comfort layer made up of cotton, wool, etc.
- The open coil system provides good airflow, therefore suitable for breathability and cooling effect for hot sleepers.
- They are the most affordable mattress available, especially for the older generation who prefer bounce.
- They have good motion transfer, which reduces sleep disturbance.
- It provides firm support to the back, therefore, keeping your spine in alignment and providing the best back support.
- They are less durable if the coil quality is not good.
- They cause noise when open coils squeak against each other.
Latex mattress is made from latex foam which is obtained from a rubber tree. They offer great support and comfort. They are similar to memory form but are more firm, bouncy, and comfortable. There are two types of latex mattresses – Dunlop and Talalay. The main difference between them is Dunlop is heavier and more sinkable than Talalay, and Talalay is lighter and springier. It is best for friendly people who want an organic mattress. This is most suitable for combination sleepers who keep switching their positions during sleep.
- It provides great support to the body without excessive sinking.
- They are more durable and most suitable for people with allergies due to their hypoallergenic properties.
- It helps in temperature regulation and cooling effect by removing excessive heat.
- Natural Latex foam is recyclable and doesn’t create many toxic chemicals during manufacturing, making it best for environment lovers.
- It is extremely responsive and bounces back to its original position as soon as you change position.
- It is the most durable mattress, with a lifespan of nearly 15 years.
- It is one of the most expensive mattresses.
- Synthetic latex mattress has an initial odor that has to be removed before use.
A hybrid mattress is a combination of innerspring coils along with a layer of foam or latex for added support and comfort. The foam on the top is extremely helpful in pressure relief and therefore has gained much popularity in recent years. The hybrid mattress has pocketed coins that support bounce and good airflow. They are best for back sleepers and combination sleepers.
- The soft foam in the top layer provides great contouring and pressure relief.
- It provides the best cooling effect due to infused coil system, which promotes better airflow.
- They have less motion isolation and are, therefore, suitable for sleeping peacefully.
- They are more durable than innerspring mattresses due to pocketed coil, which is less likely to lose tension.
- It is heavy compared to other types of mattresses.
- Due to the combination of the best elements from all other mattresses, a hybrid mattress is more costly than many others.
Choosing the suitable type of mattress is as important as choosing the right food to live healthily. A good quality mattress can give you a peaceful and relaxing sleep while a wrong one can cause frustration and a bad mood day. Consider your needs and preferences while selecting a suitable mattress rather than its cost. Ask the salesman to let you check the mattress physically to avoid any discomfort later.